When you wake up & place your feet on a soft & comfortable shag rug, it just feels like heaven. The Shag rugs have been around since the 1970s, and now the shag rugs are becoming popular again. The fashionable rug will enhance the appearance of the space, and walking on its plush pile will be a true delight for your feet. However, there’s one thing that many people know about shag rugs is how to clean a shag rug?
Shag rugs have a long, floppy pile, making them difficult and tricky to clean. But cleaning the shag rug is not that difficult task if you know the steps & things needed. It just needs some time & a few easily available things & then your shag rug will be good to do.
So let’s get to know the method of how to clean a shag rug & learn more about shag rugs!
How often to clean a shag rug?
Ideally, a shag rug that receives heavy foot traffic should be cleaned regularly to maintain the fluffy pile and eliminate dust and debris. Apart from this, vacuuming them once or twice a week will keep them clean.
However, if you want to deep clean them, then you should do it atleast once a week. If there are spills or stains, they should be blotted up as soon as possible and treated on the spot.
What you’ll need to clean a shag rug?
You need to collect something before you start cleaning the shag rug. These tools are supplies are readily available in every household. Here are the things:
- Vacuum Cleaner
- White Microfiber towel
- Rug beater
- Soft-bristled Brush
- Small bowl
- Sponge Mop
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Baking Soda
- Dry Carpet Shampoo
How to Clean a Shag Rug?
You need to follow various steps in cleaning the shag rug. We have mentioned five processes. You can use each of them separately or even jointly as per the cleaning need of shag rugs. So let’s have a look at each of them:
1) Regular Cleaning
- Beat the Rug: Shaking a shag rug is an age-old cleaning method. Dust and debris may be easily removed from a carpet by just shaking it roughly. You can shake your rug by hand, but if it’s too big, you can put it out on a clothesline and beat the dirt out.
- Vacuum Cleaning: If you think there is still dirt or debris left in the shug rag, then use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust.
- Leave out in the sun: Allow the rug to air dry for a few hours in direct sunlight. Helps to rid bedding and carpets of germs and dust mites that flourish in soft materials like these.
2) Deep Vaccum Cleaning
- Make sure your vacuum is set to its highest possible setting.
- Do not use its low settings because fibers might become entangled in the brush if the suction is adjusted too low.
- Remove the beater bar, connect a hand attachment, or use a handheld vacuum to clean up any spills that may have formed.
- To remove all of the debris, thoroughly vacuum the rug. Your rug will begin to revive itself if you keep up the vacuuming.
- Vacuum the back of the rug after flipping it over. Avoid sucking up fibers or breaking them off by vacuuming only the back of your carpets.
- Set the rug back in place once it has been shaken outside.
3) Spot Cleaning
If, by chance, there have been spillage & spots on the shag rug, then you need to clean the spot first & then clean the shag rug.
- The quicker you clean up a spill, the better your chances are of getting the substance out.
- Blot any spills with a clean microfiber towel and zap the stain with a carpet cleaning spray.
- If the spilled liquid is colored, dilute it with water to remove the color.
- Combine water and a couple of squirts of soap. Alternatively, you can make a simple solution by combining warm water and white vinegar equally.
- Take a bristle brush, put it in soapy water, and clean the area gently in circular motions. Repete as needed.
- Rinse well with water and air dry.
- After that, you can try vacuum cleaning for the whole shag rug to remove any dust.
- Now leave the shag rug in the sun for some hours.
4) Steam Cleaning
All-over steam cleaning is required if the rug is heavily dirty. Using a steam cleaner eliminates stubborn dirt and smells.
- Start with a clean rug.
- Fill the steam cleaner halfway with water and cleaner and run it over the rug until all stains and discoloration go.
- Follow the steam cleaner’s directions for use.
- Place the rug on the ground or a large tarp if you choose. Allow it to dry naturally, ideally in the sun.
How to deep clean a shag rug?
If your shag rug is too dirty and you think it needs to be cleaned by a professional, then try our method! Follow the step-by-step instruction & your shag rug will be deep cleaned! It will make the shag rug look like a new one.
1) Beat & Vaccum the Rug
When it’s time to really clean a shag rug, do the same things you do every week, like a shake or beat it outside. Then, vacuum clean the rug on both sides to remove all the dust and debris properly.
2) Remove the Stains
If you see stains on the rug, you need to clean them before going or further steps. Any spills should be wiped up with a clean microfiber towel and sprayed with a carpet cleaner. Now, mix some water with a few squirts of soap. Clean the area with a bristle brush that has been soaked in soapy water. Repeat as many times as you need.
3) Brighten & Deodorize It!
Sprinkle dry baking soda over the rug that is free of stains but seems dull and smells old. For at least four hours, leave the baking soda on the rug (overnight is better). Remove the powder by sifting it and then vacuuming it up.
The baking soda will soak all the dirt and smell from the rug, making it look better.
4) Deep Clean with Dry Carpet Shampoo
Sprinkle dry carpet shampoo granules lightly over the rug. Work the granules into the shag fibers with a soft-bristled brush or a dry mop. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for the duration of time the shampoo should be left on the rug. The majority take roughly an hour.
After the prescribed time has passed, take the rug outdoors and shake it well before vacuuming away any leftover residue. Bear in mind that you must vacuum both sides of the carpeting.
5) Raise the pile
Now, your shag rug is deep cleaned, but you have to pile up the shag rug to make it look fluffy. Lift the rug’s pile using a carpet rake or your hands to give it a fluffy appearance.
How to clean white shag rug?
Cleaning a white shag rug is similar to cleaning other shag rugs. The only difference comes while cleaning the stain. You need to use vinegar instead of any soap or shampoo, as it will be behind no leftover colors. Here is how to clean white shag rug:
- Beat the rug & then vacuum clean it from both sides.
- Now, remove the stains from the rig. Try to bloat the spill from the rug as fast as you can. Then clean the spot with half vinegar half water formula. Now, bloat with white fiber towels until the stain doesn’t come out.
- Now, deep clean the rug with dry shampoo.
- Leave it in the sun to be dry & be fluffy again.
How to clean carpets from dog urine?
It is possible that your dog or cat may urinate on the rug, resulting in smell, stained, and dirty shag rug. But you can easily clean the dog’s urine from the rag. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a white fiber towel to absorb any remaining wetness from the area.
- Mix equal parts vinegar and water for a diluted solution.
- Apply the vinegar solution to the area that has been urinated on, softly clean it, and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Allow the baking soda to deodorize the area for at least 24 hours after applying it to the problem region. The smell will be eliminated.
- In order to remove the stain, combine equal parts water, hydrogen peroxide, and dish detergent. Pour the solution over the baking soda and gently scrape the discoloration.
- Now vacuum the area to eliminate any remaining residue.
How to maintain a shag rug?
It is important to maintain the look of shag rugs & keep them clean. Here are some things to do to maintain your shag rugs:
- The best way to clean is to do it by hand instead of with an upright vacuum cleaner.
- Vacuum rugs with a rake attachment. In addition to vacuuming the rug, it also gently grooms it with its comb-like bristles.
- Every six months, rotate the rug to make sure it gets the same amount of wear on both sides.
- Ask your visitors and family members to put shoes outside to minimize the wear & tear of a shag rug.
How to make a shaggy rug fluffy again?
If your shag rug has become glabrous, then chill; you can still make it fluffy again. The most effective method is to remove a towel from the washing machine while it is still moist. Then, place over the flattened region and then gently press with a warm (not hot) iron.
Rep till the carpet fibers reappear. The heat and dampness will assist in resetting the fibers, resulting in a lovely fluffy carpet.
Shag area rugs can add warmth to your home and look good with most decor. So having them is great for your home. Additionally, it also becomes necessary to know how to clean a shag rug. So the appearance & warmth of your shag rug remains the same. Try to clean it in routine to maintain its look.
We hope you found this article helpful & informative. Leave your thoughts & suggestions in the comments.
Thank you for reading!